Home | Full Site
Forums:   Index  |  Search  |  Posting Guidelines  |  Forum FAQ  |  My Messages

SkyCaddie Watch Battery Life

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

Gusbogey
Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: SkyCaddie Watch Battery Life

I originally won a new SkyCaddie watch a few years ago. After the first year it would not last a round without the battery dying. I contacted Skygolf but there was no help there. I contacted the distributor and they replaced it. Really great service but not from Skygolf. 2 years later and the battery will only last 11 or 12 holes. I only play about 40 rounds a year. I expect batteries to be able to take a few hundred recharges. I contacted SkyGolf and got the same answer. You're out of luck. Their only suggestion was to buy another of their new products. Contacted the distributor again but no luck this time. They did offer me $50 a few products.

What's the point in getting money off another piece of crap. Never again SkyGolf. Moving on to Garmin.
Mikeybgood1
Canada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: SW2

Read your post. I'm having battery issues as well, but not in regards to battery life, but in regards to how loooonnnngggg it takes to charge the device!
As I write this post, I've had the device plugged into my USB port for 4.5 hours, and it's only manged to charge 70%.
I always have to charge it the day before I play, just to make sure it's good to go for when I want to play. Watch does provide accurate yardages, BUT it has been known to fail to auto advance to the next hole, and so I have to make sure I check the watch on every tee box, just to make sure it's showing the right hole.
EddieNY1946
United States

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Battery Life

I too am disappointed in the battery life of my watch. If I don't charge it the night before a round, it will go dead before the round is complete.[/quote][/b]
Kent13
United States

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: My Battery Quits too

The battery on my Sky Watch worked fine for a couple of years. This year if I have it off the charger for a couple of days just wearing it as a watch, it quickly goes down to 70% charged. Even if fully charged, it no longer makes it for a full round without running out of charge. I get about 15 holes, and then it is gone. Is there anything to do to replace the battery or to do something so that it last longer?

neuromancer44

Canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

My watch no longer lasts a complete round of golf - usually shutting down by hole 15-16. It's only 4 years old.

As a watch the charge last s all day and a bit longer but I can get any old watch to do that. I wanted a useful piece of GPS and hate carrying a bid unit of having something I have to fish out of my pocket to look at. The wrist idea was perfect.

Is there NO WAY of replacing the battery? This is really stupid. If this is a well known issue then there should be some way to replace the battery. Even if there is a cost.

What is the point of having a "warranty" that is significantly shorter than KNOWN battery life and the issues with recharging? This is just plain old sleazy.

Now I am stuck with another year of membership in a program since I signed up for a new year before this problem started to appear.

I expected a lot more from this product.
qwertypip
United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject:

It appears the watch battery is replaceable, below from another golf forum:

Ok the watch uses a (452530) lithium polymer battery that means the battery is 4.5mm x 25mm x 30mm.
This battery is hard find except in large quantities from China.

I ordered a (502530) ) 3.7V 300 mAh Li-polymer Rechargeable Battery 502530 for PDA/Bluetooth/mp3/mp4 on ebay
that 5mm x 25mm x 30mm it is .5mm thicker but it did fit in the case. Battery measure tolerances are questionable

Ok, remove the (Cool screws on the back and carefully separate the back from the front

CAUTION !!! when removing the back there are (2) small gold springs that may fall out be sure and not drop them.

Next unplug the battery and remove it the battery is wrapped in a copper foil tape which serves as part of the antenna system.

Remove the copper foil tape paying attention to the orientation of how it is wrapped you will have to put it on the new battery the same way.

You will have to cut the plug from the old battery and solder it to the new which has bare leads. Keep the leads about the same length as original so they will fit in the case. The battery leads are very thin wire so be careful when stripping for soldering. Put the used copper foil tape on the new battery.

Ok, put the battery back in the case and make sure the case will fit over it.

Ok the (2) gold springs. You will see (2) small flat gold tabs next to the battery on the face side of the watch the (2) springs sit on these tabs facing up they provide some kind of contact between face and back.

Ok, with springs facing up slowly place the back on the watch being careful not to knock the (2) gold springs off the tabs.

Push the back down and put the screws in and tighten. Snug the screws on the charging terminal side first to assure the internal contacts make contact since the battery is slightly thicker.

Hook up to the charger to make sure it will charge If not you may need to loosen screws and retighten.

I had to use and recharge mine twice before it would last a full round of golf, but now it seems to always have charge after playing.
WARNING
This is somewhat complicated and should only be completed by someone who may have some electronic experience.
You may also want to research lithium battery handling precautions on the Internet.
USER ASSUMES ALL RESPONSIBILTY FOR USING THESES INSTRUCTIONS. MANUFACTURES WARRANTY OR SERVICE MAY BE VOID IF WATCH HAS BEEN OPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bigmo13
United States

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: battery charge

I had trouble charging the battery. bought a 1.5 amp charger and now it charges in a couple of hours. check your charger for the current draw. My battery lasts for 18 plus holes but I don't turn it on until I have teed off on the first hole.
209mitch
United States

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: My Battery Quits too

Kent13 wrote:
The battery on my Sky Watch worked fine for a couple of years. This year if I have it off the charger for a couple of days just wearing it as a watch, it quickly goes down to 70% charged. Even if fully charged, it no longer makes it for a full round without running out of charge. I get about 15 holes, and then it is gone. Is there anything to do to replace the battery or to do something so that it last longer?

Mine was doing that and I did the "FOUR BUTTON" reset. push all four black buttons at the same time and then recharge. It still will only last about 27 holes but that is better than going dead after 12 holes. good luck.
chollopeter
United States

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: More on the battery

I had this posted a while back, they don't seem to like these posts and tend to delete them frequently:
Follow qwertypip's directions,
I have the same watch. It is a tight squeeze, but it looks exactly like the battery my watch had in it. Be careful with the foil wrap around the contained battery, I believe it may act as the antenna for the gps. Just pay attention and reinstall it like you find it. You will need to snip the wires with the connector from the current battery and solder it to the new one as the new ones don’t have a connector on them. Just make them the same length as the original and it should all fit back together. I used Liquid Tape (Got it at Wal-mart) to insulate the splices after soldering since there isn’t room for tape or shrink tubing. By the way Liquid tape is very handy to have for many uses if you do your own repairs around the house.
As simple as the replacement is for an electronics type (I actually spent 44 years as an electronics tech for the Air Force) I don’t see why Sky Caddie doesn’t offer replacement service for a nominal fee. I know that most guys would take advantage of it and it would remove that bad feeling of non-support that most people get after having a Watch for a while.
If you aren’t experienced with small repairs I suspect a cell phone repair shop could do it rather handily if you take them the battery and the watch. Might be a good sideline business for them also. Much less complicated than a cell phone.

Here is a link to the batteries: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-300mAh-lipo-Polymer-recharge-Battery-3-7V-For-Mp3-GPS-bluetooth-DVD-402530/262523738314?hash=item3d1fa258ca%3Ag%3A2O4AAOSw2x1XLFbQ&_trkparms=pageci%253A212265d9-bdd7-11e7-b5c4-74dbd1809c4a%257Cparentrq%253A6ff33db315f0a866454c9e79fffdc608%257Ciid%253A5

Also: Clean the charging contacts often, use a q-tip with alcohol (gets the sweat and human "grease" off,then a pencil eraser (removes light corrosion) then again with the q-tip and alcohol. Improves slow charging.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Good Luck
Carl Hollopeter
chollo@bellsouth.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SkyGolf 360 Forum Index -> SkyCaddie Watch All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: